JET team take on gruelling 20-mile Skyline Challenge for JET10
Five members of JET’s in-house team, including CEO Dr Emma Egging OBE, are taking on the gruelling 20-mile Edale Skyline Challenge on 25th August to mark the halfway point in Emma’s ten JET10 challenges this year.
The ten-hour circular climb in the Peak District will take in the Great Ridge and Ladybower Reservoir as well as skirting the iconic summits of Kinder Scout, Win Hill and Mam Tour. With a total ascent of almost 1,400m, the challenge marks the furthest distance many of the team have climbed in a single day, and is event no.5 of 10 of Emma’s JET10 challenges this year.
Emma said: “The 33-mile ultramarathon I completed in April was along the Grantham Canal – so it was pretty flat. In complete contrast, the Skyline loop we will be doing tomorrow includes a number of big ascents, so it will be just as tough physically and it will take much longer to complete which means we will all have to dig deep stamina-wise.
“What will make this event extra special is being joined by four members of the brilliant JET team on the mountain. At JET we place a great deal of importance on developing teamwork skills in the young people we support, although as a staff team we all work remotely which sometimes makes getting to know each other harder. It will be fantastic to have a whole day taking on this challenge together in the stunning Peak District.
“As ever, there’s a serious side to all that we’re doing. The JET10 campaign aims to shine a light on the vital work we do in raising the aspirations and life-chances of youngsters who are struggling with self-belief, confidence and motivation at school. Everything I’m doing this year is pushing me that little bit out of my comfort zone, which is exactly what we ask of our young students when they join our JET Blue Skies programmes. It’s amazing what you can achieve with the right mindset and support.”
To support Emma and the team on their JET10 quest to raise £100,000 by the end of 2021, please donate using the following link: https://jet10.joneggingtrust.org.uk/fundraising/emmas-jet10-challenge
EMMA’S JET10 EVENTS
- Grantham Canal 33-mile ultramarathon (April 18th)
- Paddleboarding half-marathon – 13 miles. River Witham, Lincs (June 17th)
- JET10 Virtual Relay (July 10th)
- Open water swim: 2.5 miles along the length of Buttermere in the Lake District, Cumbria (July 17th)
- Edale Skyline Challenge – 20mile, 10hr climb in the Peak District. (Aug 25th)
- Great North Run (12th Sept)
- JETRide, Lincs – 75-mile cycle (26th Sept)
- Virtual London Marathon (Sun 3rd Oct)
- Potholing in Britain’s most complex cave system – Ease Gill, Yorks (Oct)
- JET10 GRAND FINALE EVENT – TO BE REVEALED! (Nov)
Edale Skyline image credit: PeakDistrictWalks.net